TORONTO, ON – Councillor James Pasternak is calling on the Province of Ontario to issue a strong statement to discourage a planned mass gathering and protest and potentially pandemic super spreader event planned in Toronto scheduled for Saturday May 15, 2021.
“There are reports and deep concerns that a mass gathering is planned for Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto which could end up a COVID super spreader. The event is reported to be an anti-Israel rally joined by persons outside Toronto who will be bussed in,” says Councillor Pasternak, who adds that if infected members of this group will take COVID back to their home towns and households. A similar protest in Toronto earlier this week included anti-semitic chants and slurs, a gross violation of the City of Toronto anti Hate Rally policy.
Based on all reports, this event contravenes Public Health Guidelines, the province of Ontario Reopening Act and various stay-at-home orders.
“An event of this nature will send the wrong message that mass gatherings are acceptable, that legislation doesn’t matter and that putting the pandemic behind us is not a priority. Because I understand that people are coming from across Ontario to Toronto I am calling on Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and Premier Doug Ford to issue a strong statement for the organizers of this rally to stay at home,” says Councillor Pasternak